Rejoice over Resources

BY DI SNEDDON

Long awaited changes to the distribution of Resources for Regions funding will deliver $8.25 to Muswellbrook and Singleton in the coming year.

Deputy Premier John Barilaro made the announcement during a visit to Singleton last week where he guaranteed $50million would be distributed annually to 24 NSW councils who had mining within their boundaries.

It is the first time funding allocations have been guaranteed allowing councils to strategically plan knowing there is money in the bank.

Catalyst for the changes was the uproar when Singleton failed to receive any funding in round five or six of the program.

“When you think about it, it is not acceptable,” Mr Barilaro said.

He said Round Seven was a very different program, much simplified and did not have the required and restrictive co-contribution from councils.

Distribution of funds would also take into consideration the number of employees working at mining operations in each council area.

Another bonus is the funding can be used for community projects and programs, not just infrastructure.

*This story was published on Friday, July 3 2020.