Local Leaders Recognised at NAIDOC Week Awards
The Upper Hunter 2021 NAIDOC Week Awards were held at the Singleton Bowling Club last Friday.
The NAIDOC award committee, which was made up of Aunty Jean Hands, Jade Perry, Rochelle Tull and Tania Riley, announced to those in attendance that the Upper Hunter NAIDOC awards celebrate our local Aboriginal achievers who should be congratulated on their success.
“As a community we all come together each NAIDOC celebration and give recognition to those that have put in the hard work and deserve the rewards,” Jade decaled.
“Special thanks goes out to the sponsors for the night.
“The major sponsors this year being MACH Energy and AGL with additional sponsors being Singleton Shire Council, Muswellbrook Council, Upper Hunter Council, Wanaruah Land Council, Bengalla Mining Company, Hunter Valley Aboriginal Corporation, Singleton High School, Local Buying Foundation, Blackrock Industries, Yancoal, OCHRE Opportunity Hub, Glencore and Bloomfield.”
The evening’s Welcome to Country was performed by Wonnarua Elder Warren Taggart before Waylon Boney (Kamillaroi man) conducted his speech on healing country.
Upper Hunter 2021 NAIDOC Week Award winners:
- Rebel Fay – Junior Scholar
- Ethan Hines – A letter of Commendation in recognition of his commitment to the exploration and promotion of his Aboriginal Culture.
- Zarli Tudor – Junior Female Sportsperson
- Tully Wholert – Junior Male Sportsperson
- Jack Newman – Apprentice of the Year
- Josh Feeney – Artist of the Year
- Georgia Pascoe – Female Youth of the Year
- Jasmine Vesper – Female Senior Sportsperson
- Angus Williams – Male Senior Scholar
- Tania Hines – Volunteer of the Year
- Kylie Pascoe – Female Professional Achievement of the Year
- Steve Johnson – Male Professional Achievement of the Year
- Aunty Jean Hands – Female Elder of the Year Award
- Uncle Garry Wright Male Elder of the Year Award
- Steve Fordham and Tania Riley Community Contribution Awards
- Uncle Barry French
- Aunty Kathleen Miller
- Uncle Johnny Matthews
- Aunty Margaret Matthews